Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Its been a while!


Not that I have anything concrete to say after all these months that I haven't blogged, just that I never seem to have an informed opinion on anything that I'm passionate about.
However, I have realized a few things about myself,
1. I over analyze everything.
2. I like to complicate the simplest of things.
3. I sit on a decision for too long and often regret it later.

I am going to change that now.

Also, this blog needs a focus and since the only things I enjoy doing these days is baking and clicking photos of them. That's what I shall do, (consistently) from now on.


The following is an article I wrote for my college's magazine.

Tell me what you think of it, if you can! Thanks.







Beep. Beep. “Cooking complete.” The automated microwave (in convection mode) reported. Mittened- up and anxious, I opened the door. The wait had been worth it: a well-browned, butter flavoured aroma warmed my senses. A magnetic chocolate walnut brownie was born.

The journey from being a master patisserie explorer to a moderate baker has been a long and arduous one. Ratio, proportions, measurements to a T and an eye for fresh and quality ingredients have had to be developed. On the way I realised that some are born with a baker’s touch, unlike them, I burned a few before these experimental cakes were fit for consumption.

To start off, I decided to put my dedicated television watching into overdrive and concentrated on lifestyle and food channels. Watching Junior Masterchef also helped. If a 12 year old could do it so could I! the only reason I tried these recipes out was because I had spent all my pocket money on desserts already and had to economize. I finally decided to give baking a try after watching Julie and Julia, once more, for good luck.
                        

Marble and sponge cakes would rise beautifully till they’d collapse, some would burn and the rest would turn rock-hard or chewy in the middle. I couldn’t believe the journey from a plate grabbing foodie to a baker was not an easy one.

I read extensively into why things went wrong in the critical 45 minute waiting period and realized that cakes rise evenly when the ingredients are at room temperature (unless specified in the recipe), egg whites must be blended into the sugar first; since it helps in making the cake light and airy, egg yolks must be mixed in later, once the flour is added the batter must be lightly mixed else it turns hard and a pinch of salt enhances the cake’s taste.



It’s been almost a year now and though my initial obsession with baking has waned, I bake once a fortnight and have tried out lemon tarts and cupcakes with icing too. Ideally, the cake should look like the photograph accompanying it. If anything, baking helps me appreciate the time it takes to make something from scratch, something I used to take for granted while eating out. The sugary high of successfully baking your own treats is truly addictive.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Me likes the design of your blog! and i do like the humility with which you write.. I find that writers who know they write well acquire a certain arrogance in their writing which shifts the attention from the content to style alone. You do a good job of balancing the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Koninika!
    Never saw it that way :)

    ReplyDelete